‘It’s not our doing’: Frank Warren admits Tyson Fury vs Deontay Wilder rematch is unlikely to happen this year and blames ESPN for wanting Brit to have ‘exposure fight’ first

  • Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder will not be facing each other in a rematch next 
  • Frank Warren blamed ESPN and Top Rank for talks between the two collapsing
  • Warren said: ‘ They want to give Tyson an exposure fight in the States first’
  • Fury intends to take a interim fight next and hopes to face Wilder later in the year
  • However, his co-promoter Warren hinted on Wednesday it’s unlikely at this stage

Tyson Fury’s co-promoter Frank Warren has insisted ESPN are to blame for talks over an immediate rematch with Deontay Wilder collapsing and hinted that the prospect of the blockbuster showdown taking place this year are now slim. 

Negotiations between the two camps had been going on for the past three months after their controversial split-decision draw back in December, but Fury has since opted to pull out after informing the WBC this week that he intends to take an interim fight next ahead of a possible clash with Wilder in the autumn.

It comes in the wake of the British heavyweight signing an unprecedented £80million deal with American promoter Top Rank, with his fights to be screened on ESPN.

That arrangement immediately cast doubt over the rematch as Wilder fights on Showtime and despite the protestations of each party that a May 18 clash was still close, it has now formally been shelved.  

Warren told talkSPORT on Wednesday: ‘It’s not our doing. ESPN and Top Rank want to give Tyson an exposure fight in the States first and then have the Wilder fight afterwards. 

‘It’s unfortunate but we’re hoping to get a fight in September or October.’

It is unclear who Fury will face in his next outing but WBC champion Wilder now looks likely to defend his title against mandatory challenger Dominic Breazeale, putting Dillian Whyte’s chances of securing a fight with the American in jeopardy. 

Wilder and Fury had been in talks for three months after their controversial draw in December

Wilder took to Twitter to vent his frustration on Tuesday night after talks of his rematch with Fury came to a halt, writing: ‘You sorry m********a. We knew you only said this bec [sic] you knew you wasn’t fighting me next.

‘You requested a warm-up fight first. I don’t blame you tho, I probably would too if I saw my brains splashed all over the canvas.’

After ordering the rematch between Wilder and Fury last month, the WBC have repeatedly put back the deadline in the belief that the impasse was close to being solved. The latest cut-off was set for Tuesday, before the sanctioning body confirmed Fury’s plans to seek an alternative opponent.

Anthony Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, told Sportsmail the sudden availability of Wilder will have no bearing on Joshua’s forthcoming fight with Jarrell Miller, but will make it ‘easier’ to create a subsequent clash for all the world belts further down the line.

Fury’s promoter Warren blames ESPN and Top Rank for wanting Brit to have exposure fight first

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply